The publication describes that this classification “reflects the criteria […] relating to the matrix character of the property, the genius of the respective creator, its aesthetic, technical and intrinsic material value, its architectural, urban and landscape design, and the circumstances likely to lead to a decrease or loss of its perpetuity or integrity”.
However, the same ordinance recognises that the building has been “partially tampered with”.
“It is considered that its evocative capacity of the original project is not lost, where the local granite, concrete, and iron combine with the natural surroundings to compose a work of great formal and conceptual value, well illustrative of the scope of the work of Fernando Távora and his positioning in relation to the challenges posed by modern architecture”, justifies the Secretary of State for Culture.
This double petrol station in Covas is located in Salgueiral, in the parishes of Creixomil and Urgeses, in the municipality of Guimarães, district of Braga.
The work was part of a plan for the location of petrol stations that was commissioned by SACOR in 1957.
Designed between 1959 and 1961, and completed in 1967, it is composed of two posts located on border plots, on the slopes of the Creixomil valley.
The DRCN concluded that it was “an example of architecture, well illustrative of the conceptual and creative process of the architect Fernando Távora”
Fernando Távora (1923-2005) was an architect, teacher, and essayist, considered to be the “father” of the Porto School.