It has taken twenty years to produce this limited initiative with principle resistance having come from sea potentates such as China, Russia, the U.S. and Japan whose fleets of factory ships have indiscriminately wreaked havoc by “vacuum cleaning” stocks of fish. fragile coral reefs, krill, sponges and seaweeds.
The ambitious target is to declare 30% of the oceans as protected conservation areas with harvesting either restricted to quotas or, in most areas, banned completely. The remaining 70% will remain as open water but extraction of marine genetic resources will be supervised to ensure that they are shared fairly by both developed and developing nations. All sounds fine until one realizes that this international agreement has many badly defined areas such as who will fund and organize the supervisory body and to which tribunals will transgressions be referred for sentencing.
Well, at least it is a start towards the eventual target of clean seas to be enjoyed by a reduced and less demanding world population of vegans !
by email Robert Cavaleiro, Tomar
Justice for Marine Life
Send us your comments or opinion on this article.